Roach to Golden Boy: Time to forgive, forget

Posted by Wayne | Tuesday, December 16, 2008


As the residue of the blockbuster Dream Match slowly fades away, Freddie Roach is ready to make peace with the rival camp.

After everything that’s been said and done, all the trash-talking and finger-pointing, Manny Pacquiao’s trainer said it’s about time to put them all behind.

In the weeks leading to the “Dream Match” between Pacquiao and Oscar dela Hoya, Roach engaged the opposite camp in a running word war.

He said he regrets saying some things.

It all started when he said Dela Hoya, at 35, “can’t pull the trigger anymore” and that he had no doubt in his mind that the Golden Boy would be knocked out.

He also had some harsh words for Dela Hoya’s trainer, Nacho Beristain.

“Maybe I shouldn’t have said some things I said and hopefully he’ll forgive me and I’ll forgive him,” said Roach referring to Dela Hoya whom he once trained.

“I hope it will be okay. I have four fighters fighting for him (under Golden Boy Promotions) so I still have to work with the guy,” said Roach, normally soft-spoken.

“Who knows... we can be friends after this.”

Roach said that since Pacquiao is no trash-talker, he had to take the cudgels, adding that he was willing to do anything or everything “just to throw Oscar off.”

Then Dela Hoya countered by blaming Roach for his loss to Floyd Mayweather Jr. by saying the two-time Trainer of the Year brought in the wrong game plan.

“I like Oscar. He’s a great guy. He treated me well in camp, and when he blamed me for the Mayweather loss and something like maybe he’s just trying to get back because I said he can’t pull the trigger,” said Roach.

Bookmark and Share
0 comments